Monday, July 27, 2009

La Novena de Pluto - Grupo Mandarina


I've been travelling through Peru and Bolivia for the past month, hunting for cumbias and chichas that I've never heard before. They're pretty fertile places for new jams, I must say. I found a great little shop on Av. Quilca in Lima for records and another flea market/black market in Cuzco for cds/DVDs. Please pardon the frequency of future posts because internet connections here tend to be muy despacio.

I have very little info on this group and, what I do have, was gleaned from the fellow who sold me the record. Most of the grupos presented here will only have some word of mouth info because I really haven't been able to find much on the internet about them (and my Spanish really isn't the best yet).

Grupo Mandarino was formed in the San Blas neighborhood in Cuzco around 1967 or 68. I met someone from the Bay Area on this trip and she described San Blas as the Berkeley of Cuzco and she might be right (although there is no Lookout or Amoeba Records here).

Dig the interplanetary jams and leave some feedback - it's a jam I'm definitely feeling!

http://www.zshare.net/download/6324969320d1fe1a/

No comments:

Post a Comment