Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The fella that beat me to it




The much envied blog title of Cumbia Peruana was created two years ago, but only had one post. The only thing listed on the site is a picture of Chacalon, Peruvian chicha/cumbia King. One person from Lima told me that every Peruvian respects him- the rich, the poor, the indifferent.

Chicha, the style of music he played, is kind of looked down upon as lowly, backwoods, and quite often dangerous. I say dangerous because guys often dance with two fingers in the air to symbolize knives. On top of that, everyone always tells me to keep my money in my sock when I go to shows.




But Chacalon reigns as king, with his son (Chacalon Jr.) carrying the torch. Here is a fan made video of Chacalon Jr, which kinda gives you a glimpse of what kinda Peruvians like modern chicha:


No comments:

Post a Comment